Wednesday, 16 July 2014

5 Journalism Tips For Success From The Professionals

How's it going? Peachy? Good. So today I'm just going to give a summary of tips I've picked up so far this week.

At my school we do a week of work experience near the end of the summer term. Instead I decided that I'd probably find a week Journalism course more beneficial, as it's something I'm interested in pursuing. 

Tamezin Media - the charity behind the heavily acclaimed new teen magazine, t!Magazine - HQ on the Chelsea Embankment has been my home from home this week. The beautiful townhouse has been visited by active journalists, writers and HR workers who in turn have given us practical tips for what you can expect as a journalist, and how best to get there. 

Additionally, last Saturday I went to a course at the V&A for Fashion Journalism run by the Vogue Online journalist, Scarlett Kilcooley-O'Halloran, who gave us an eye-opening insight to what her job demands of her. 

I thought I'd be charitable and share the best hints I've picked up from both courses with you:


HERE WE GO...

  1. Get WORK EXPERIENCE. Experience shows that you truly are interested in becoming a journalist and are proactive in pursuing this desire. Having experience in journalism before application to a job will separate you from other applicants. TIP: Start off targeting small local publications as you have a greater chance of being accepted. This also goes for getting a job. Start small: smaller companies are likely to have more tasks to issue you, whereas bigger corporations will probably leave you to do the filing and make cups of tea. 
  2. You DON'T NEED A DEGREE. All of the journalists who've presented to us so far have declared that most journalists don't have a degree - it's experience that is important. If you do want to do a degree media studies is not recommended. A solid English degree, or other essay writing subject will suffice - that's if you're convinced university is the place for you.
  3. Be PRODUCTIVE. Write a blog (hello) regularly. Perhaps start of targeting small local publications
  4. Write with a PASSION. It is easier to write about things you're passionate about. Aim to tell a story and persuade people to read your story. Read around your topic. 
  5. JUST WRITE! Ask yourself: 'why would readers be interested in my ideas?' Be original, or at least take a fresh approach to a previously covered topic. 
I hope that was helpful? As I pick up new tips as the week goes on I'll update the list.

Best of luck.


Rachel


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...